Wednesday, March 26, 2008

overview of new informants

I got two new informants, both 14 year old males. Anthony, is my cousin who is easy to talk with, but the majority of his comments are set in a sarcastic tone. This is the way he is with everyone he interacts with. Its his way of being humorous like many teens. The other day he was talking about getting tattoos. He showed me the designs, which were all basic black and symbol like drawings. I asked him where he was thinking about getting these tattoos, and he said on his forehead. I’m not sure if he was kidding, because he even explained that his hair would cover over the tattoo.
Anthony has just moved in with my family in the late summer. His old town was very diverse, and the other day he said to me how he noticed that in West Milford everyone was white. This is very observant for a 14 year, growing up in that town I didn’t really notice until I left and went to college that my town was not very mixed. My aunt made sure that he was involved in everything that he was involved in while living in Virginia. He joined the boy scouts, the same troop that all four of my brothers had been in. Since his father is not in the picture, my father has stated that he would take him on camping trips and other outing. Will he become a father figure to him?
Dylan is also 14 and lives in Toms River. My friend from school lives next door to him, so I am taking the ride home with her to spend some time with Dylan. I’ve only met with him twice, so he isn’t opening up with me fully. I’ve seen his fathers house and am interested in meeting his mom and see where she leaves. They got divorced a few years ago, and he hasn’t said much about his mother. I am interested in finding how he is dealing with the transition of living and spending his time in two places.
Dylan is going to Boston in April for a clinic for sailing. He is really excited because there are going to be couches their from Harvard and Boston College. He is only a freshman in highschool and he is already thinking about getting scholarships for sailing. This is impressive and he is very motivated which is something that you don’t see, especially so early.

No comments: